A superfood that's versatile, healthy and delicious!
Açaí (ah-sah-ee) is a highly nutritious berry belonging to palm trees native to the Amazon rainforest. Its royal blackish-purple skin is the edible pulp and so full of nutrients that it’s considered to be one of the most powerful superfoods on the planet. Açai has been part of the indigenous Brazilian diet for centuries because of its renowned versatility and powerful health properties.
Fresh açai is a treasure. It is a highly sensitive fruit and will start to spoil within 48 hours of being picked. That’s why the best açai is found in the forest, straight from the tree. However, for those wanting to experience the natural benefits of açai, the fruit has to be flash-frozen or freeze-dried to maintain its nutritional value and natural taste. The berries are collected from the açai palm and delivered to the nearby production facility to be produced into pulp or powder with 24 hours.
With similar properties to cacao and red wine, the deep blackish, reddy/purple hue of açai indicates an abundance of powerful antioxidants (anthocyanin). It’s also loaded with healthy omega fats (like avocado), protein (with an amino profile similar to eggs), an incredible source of dietary fibre and all the essential nutrients required by a human body. This very rare composition is ideal to support a good immune system, making açai one of the most nutritious foods on earth. Because of its surprising level of protein, fibre and minerals, it’s regarded as one of the best options for vegan/vegetarian diets.
- Zero sugar. Açai is one of the only berries not to contain sugar
- 16 types of antioxidant compounds – to help cleanse the body
- Full of healthy omegas 3, 6 & 9 – giving açai its creamy texture (like an avocado)
- Packed with fibre – 4.4g (25%) of the recommended daily intake
- Loaded with essential amino acids – helps to maintain a well functioning metabolism and support a good immune system
- A protein profile similar to an egg – helps to build, repair, and protect muscle tissue
- Phytonutrients – organic plant compounds that promote optimum health through boosting the immune system and maintaining healthy skin cells
PREMIUM-GRADE: WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
There are three industry standards of açai: low, medium and premium grade / ‘especial’. Premium-grade açai has double the amount of antioxidants, a creamier texture and richer taste (more earthy, less icy). Because we’re obsessed with original açai from the forest, we only produce açai to premium standards to ensure the highest nutritional content and maximum flavour.
Pure açai is a very unique taste – often so new to the average palette it has no predecessor in the brain’s memory. It’s a totally new aroma that requires several returns to the source of the taste in order to capture exactly what’s going on – often resulting in the consumption of quite a few returns to the bowl.
The taste of pure açai is earthy; similar to high quality cacao, combined with citric or berry, but without the tartness or sweetness.